Monday 20 November 2017

Dying for a cuppa

tournez à droite, tournez à gauche, tout droit, carrefour, La maison du Matcha, waka waka //
turn right, turn left, straight ahead, crossroads, The House of Matcha, waka waka

We started (slowly) on directions. Here is the cat, trying to navigate his way to La Maison de Matcha. He really really needs a good cuppa.

So do I. Today, I was specifically asked to say where was the ceiling in the sketch. My best response that the ceiling was above everything (“le plafond est au dessus de tout”) was not acceptable, I didn’t quite get why. Then we tried to figure out how to say “the lamp is hanging from the ceiling”. Well, I was trying to figure it out, I am reasonably sure our teacher knows the answer. On this particular occasion the vestiges of French which we use in Russian didn’t help me, rather the opposite, because «плафон» means lampshade in Russian, not ceiling. So we talked at cross-purposes for a bit. It seems the right answer is “la lampe est suspendue au plafond”.

One small discovery of today was that carrefour means crossroads in English. I am now wondering if the store chain «Перекресток» which I see mentioned in Russian social networks is actually Carrefour hypermarket in heavy disguise (UPD: no it isn’t).

Don’t know what Pacman is doing there. He is probably just filling the lower left corner with WAKA WAKAs.

Pictures related to cats @ Shutterstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment