Tuesday 7 November 2017

If the shoe fits

 Il chausse du quarante-huit // He takes shoe size 48

Today, two of my classmates had to do a monologue in front of the class, giving a description of a (supposedly unknown) person based on a questionnaire that person filled in some time ago.

One of the boxes to fill was "shoe size", pointure. The obvious way to go is to just say "her shoe size is blah", right?

But life is never as simple as all that. Quick verbal explanation of how it should be said was given, accompanied with the illegible scribbling on the board. So quick and so illegible that I had to search for it on internet. *

So, there is a verb, chausser (which could be reflexive, se chausser, but it doesn't seem to be obligatory). It means "to shoe" (self), i.e. to take shoe size X.

It can also mean buying shoes or shoeing a horse and probably a few other things.

----
* - I am almost  sure it (the explanation) is also present in that ever-increasing heap of photocopies I am carrying in my backpack to each lesson, but I not in a mood for trawling through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment