Sunday 19 April 2020

Peindre du blanc sur du blanc

On ne peut pas peindre du blanc sur du blanc, du noir sur du noir. Chacun a besoin de l’autre pour se révéler //
You can’t paint white on white, black on black. Each needs the other to reveal themselves

Today’s prompt is “requirement”, exigence / besoin.

The quote is apparently an African proverb. Little did they know about Kazimir Malevich and his White on White painting.

To be honest, I forgot about it too. Black Square is something that immediately comes to mind, of course, but White on White was gone, maybe due to the lack of contrast. Interestingly, Google and its Big Brother information processing strategies proved quite helpful. How. Well, first I searched for the citation and found one I liked. I stuck it into Google Translate. Then, thinking that Black Square will be the perfect illustration, I started typing Kazimir Malevich in Google search box. To my surprise, the suggestion of Google was not “black square” but rather “white on white”. Well done I guess, but hmmm...

In other news, looks like at least the kids till age of 12 will be able to have a walk outside starting from 27 April. Yay for them. Meh for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment