Thursday 2 April 2020

Mon opinion

C’est mon opinion et je la partage // That’s my opinion and I share it

The cat, being stuck indoors for nearly three weeks, grew a bit peculiar. He seems to be preaching stuff from his balcony. I am sure he will be fine once let out though.

French partager and English “share” have the same glorious ambiguity built-in. That is to say that “sharing an opinion” can mean both tell somebody what said opinion is and be of the same opinion with somebody.

I am happy to report that our neighbours are mostly OK, balcony-etiquette-wise. Apart from a little speech through the loudspeaker somebody gave on one of the first day of the confinement, hijacking the daily “emergency applause” and quite, quite terrible go at We are the champions by another, I have nothing to complain about.

While it is very nice to see Italians singing and playing music from their balconies, I imagine it could be quite taxing to have a neighbour who is prone to emitting loud noise of whatever kind on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment