Sunday 10 May 2020

Mémé m’a envoyé un colis

Mémé m’a envoyé un colis // Granny sent me a package

Today’s prompt is “mom”, maman.

The word maman led me to think about jams and preserves by Bonne Maman company, which we used to buy a lot in the UK. Yes, I know it might sound strange, but to a Russian ear maman in its original meaning sounds either awfully pretentious or somewhat disrespectful (long story). While about Bonne Maman jams I have only good things to say. So. Bonne-maman means “granny”, and so does much shorter and childish mémé. I think I managed to explain it away, mmm?

The cat just got a parcel full of home-made jams from his granny. He looks happy, I know I would be. My favourite is sour cherry, what’s yours?

In quarantine news, messages are still very much mixed about what is allowed and what is not starting tomorrow. The thing that puzzles most (myself including) is that you are apparently allowed to go and drink in a bar or shopping any time of day, while sports and simply walks are still restricted to the same hours of day as before. I tend to think that people devising the phases are focused of getting the economy going somehow, while the sports and walks schedule is managed by the Ministry of Health, and they are not on speaking terms with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment