Thursday 21 December 2017

J'aime bien cuisiner

J'aime bien cuisiner, expérimenter une nouvelle recette ou un plat exotique. // I like cooking, experimenting with a new recipe or an exotic dish.
Today, in our last lesson before the winter break, we listened to an audio about people's interests and passions and how they can express them. The following expressions came up:

J'aime bien - I like
Je m'intéresse à ... - I'm interested in....
Je suis une passionnée ... - I am passionate ...
Moi, ma passion, c'est ... - My passion is ...
Mon plus grand plaisir, c'est ... - My greatest pleasure is ...

As usual, the idea was that we listen and try to figure out exactly what was said. 
  
The very first guy in the audio liked cooking, that much was clear. Another couple of understandable phrases followed; then he said something about what he is cooking today. The last words were "c'est marocain" (it's Moroccan); that was all I caught. When it was time to discuss this bit it turned out that the majority of people didn't catch much either. So I went out on a limb and said that he was making a Tajine. Mind you, this is literally the only word I can come up with in connection with Moroccan cuisine. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was correct. 

I rather think that whoever it was who wrote the script for the audio also didn't know much about Moroccan cuisine.

Reminds me, although in reverse, of my oh-so-long-time-ago pharmacology exam. I was not doing well at all, because of a strange stupor which overcame me (and is probably familiar to most exam-takers). The examiner, who obviously didn't want to fail me, asked the last question - "Name the most important antipsychotics". Suddenly, the fog lifted, the things went crystal clear in my head and I inhaled deeply in order to launch into my recitation. The examiner took the pause as a sign that I didn't know the answer and hurriedly offered a way out: "Name ONE antipsychotic!". And with all the pre-gathered air I happily said "Aminazine!" (it was the first on the list). He, in is turn, happily wrote "pass" in the register. Happy end all round and hurray to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment