Thursday 14 December 2017

Aimez-vous les fleurs bleues autant que moi?

Aimez-vous les fleurs bleues autant que moi? // Do you like blue flowers as much as i do?
Today, Kirill bought me yet another Koi penbrush. It is summer-sky-bue. So I decided to make a picture with something blue in it.

So here is the cat admiring his new hydrangea plant. This one must have been growing in acidic soil to be as blue as this.

"Autant" is a  new word for me. It means "(as) much" and looks suspiciously similar to Spanish "tanto". People native in Romance languages are so lucky.

By the way, I used to be quite annoyed by the lack of distinction between "голубой" and "синий" in English. Using "ultramarine" for "синий" seems very artificial - it is too long a word for something so simple, while "azure" is too poetic for something as basic as "голубой". And another btw - I don't get what something as sombre as "indigo" is doing in the rainbow at all. It might well be imprinting, but Russian rainbow seems more logical to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment