Monday 11 December 2017

Les fleurs de cerisier, cherry blossoms

J'ai envie de voyager au Japon pendant la Semain d'Or. Je veux voir les fleurs de sakura //
I want to travel to Japan during the Golden Week. I want to see the flowers of sakura

Today, an expression “avoir envie de” — “to want to do something, to feel like doing something” was introduced. We were asked to make a sentence with it, and I had an opportunity to voice my long-standing wish, in French this time: I want to go to Japan in spring, around the Golden Week time, to see the cherry blossoms. More specifically, in April, before the madness of the holiday week starts.

I wish to do hanami.

The cat has been there already, here is his selfie as a proof.

Some observations:

Since “envie” on its own is “desire”, first suggestions you get from google AI when you start your research are, predictably, to do with sex.

I originally assumed that the expression “avoir envie” meant “I envy”, which was completely logical yet incorrect. That being said, “envie” and “envy” are etymologically related. To me, it is easier to see the connection via the semantic element of “coveting”* which is present in both words.

--------
* As in “Thou shalt not covet”

Pictures of cherry blossom @ Shutterstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment